Friday 16 May 2008

Dalbrae workshops

Things are really getting moving now in the school. I’ve taught six workshops in the past week - it feels great to be more productive and I’m really enjoying getting to know the kids.


I’ve been teaching two kinds of workshop……





…..one where I get the pupils to do a drawing of an object in a continuous line without taking their pen off the page….then translating their line drawing into wire and building-up a 3D model.




we mangaed to get hold of a stuffed Bald-Headed Eagle...




...Fox cubs and a mink....




This project helps them to think about construction of form and working from the inside out - it’s a quick introduction to wire-work too.


The other project is a sheet metal project where they create a badge and/or pendant piece using the techniques of saw piercing and some soldering.




The students got through 144 saw blades in three days but I think they were pretty happy with what they came away with.



using hammer marks for texture





some examples of their finished pieces





Pengiun, Cape Breton and Horse


I think the ‘bling’ might have gone to their heads…..




Yes,…..it definitely did.

On Sunday I’m holding a public workshop in the Inverness craft centre and next week I’m in Sydney for 3 school workshops and a public workshop so they’re keeping me busy and the time is flying.

1 comment:

DR said...

I ESPECIALLY like the Cape Breton pin :)

-David