Monday 9 June 2008

beaver, beaver, beaver!




I can't really convey quite how excited I am about my first beaver encounter....
Look at the webbed feet!!.... and the lovely big tale. I was actually climbing down a bank on my usual walk to get a closer look at the eagles nest because I could hear the chicks calling inside when I noticed this.....




Just under the tree was a beavers lodge. Two beavers came out to see who I was and swam around in circles keeping an eye on me as I took snaps. I could hear little grunts and moans from the lodge where the babies were. I didn't want to stress them out so I left after a wee while but I could have stayed for ages. They reminded me of seals with their human-like sounds and curiosity.


































Here are some beaver facts....

They are the second-largest rodent in the world (after the capybara).
Females are as large as or larger than males of the same age, which is uncommon among mammals.
The American beaver's preferred food is the water-lily.
Beaver furs were used to make clothing and top-hats. Much of the early exploration of North America was driven by the quest for this animal's fur. Native peoples and early settlers also ate this animal's meat.
The beavers cover their lodges late every autumn with fresh mud which freezes when the frost sets in. The mud becomes almost as hard as stone, so that neither wolves nor coyotes can get in.

More can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beavers


I think Beavers are great.

(I am aware that this is becoming a wildlife blog...I will try harder to include some more art next time...)

No comments: